Panathenaic Stadium/Hellenic Olympic Committee

Panathenaic Stadium, photo: Yiannis Hadjiaslanis

First built in the fourth century BC during Lykourgos’s archonship in the ravine between Ardettos Hill and the Ilissos River, the Panathenaic Stadium was reconstructured during the reign of Roman emperor Hadrian into the horseshoe form we know today. The stadium was once again reconstructed in 1896 for the first modern Olympic Games, using Pentelic marble but keeping true to the Roman design. It was here, during the opening ceremony, that the Olympic Hymn, whose lyrics were written by the Greek national poet Kostis Palamas, was first sung. It is also one of the sites of Pope.L’s Whispering Campaign.

Posted in Public Exhibition
OK

Es handelt sich um eine historische Website. Hier erhalten Sie jeweils Details zum Impressum, Datenschutz und weitere Informationen.