Karlsaue Park

Karlsaue Park, photo: Mathias Völzke

Measuring 1.5 square kilometers in total, the Auepark or Karlsaue, so named after its patron Landgrave Karl of Hesse-Kassel, is the tautly composed, arch-symmetrical Baroque counterpoint to the sprawling, faux-natural Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe on the far western edge of Kassel. It is here that the Bundesgartenschau, or Garden Show, of 1955 was first organized, to which the first documenta was attached as little more than an afterthought or digression. Four art projects of varying material presences—some sonic, some architectural; some intrusive, some elusive—are scattered throughout the park, which has long been a key documenta site; the early-eighteenth-century Orangerie at its eastern edge, another of Karl’s building projects, also hosts documenta 14 works.

Posted in Public Exhibition
Related

Torneo Triball

by Ciudad Abierta

Among the core activities of the experimental school run by Chilean artist & architect collective Ciudad Abierta (“Open City”), the impromptu organization of genre-defying “games” takes pride…

 More
Calendar

Pavilion of Hospitality

by Ciudad Abierta

Inauguration of the Pavilion of Hospitality built by Chilean artist & architect collective Ciudad Abierta (“Open City”) in the Auepark. The opening of Ciudad Abierta’s summertime outpost in Kassel…

 More
Calendar